People Peeking in...

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day Thirty

Ah, the day before a camping trip.  There will be few, if any, postings between tomorrow and the 18th of March, we'll be in the desert after all and connections will be spotty.  I will have the laptop and will be working on the new schedule but may not post much. 


I am interested to see how Banker does today, he has put off a ton of work from yesterday, when we ditched at noon to go get his hair cut, ran errands then never really got back into gear.  It was our first "let's blow out of here for a while BEFORE it's all day".  We were almost giddy making appointments that didn't revolve around which class he'd be in or how quickly we could get there after school..."1:15, that'll be great".  Yeah, free schedules work just fine. 


He has a load of work to do because today is it, as I said, we are taking tomorrow off to load and transport dogs to their guest family in the morning, do a quick shop for junk.  You cannot camp without copious amounts of junk food.  Then we will come back and pack and hang around waiting for hubba to do the same.  He will want to relax and we will harass him into packing the car then we'll wake him too early on Saturday to go go go.


Banker did say he will take his Nook along to read his book, he is sorely behind already even though I did give him an extra week to read it.  He tried the, "I'm not going to finish this, I'll take my social studies and do it at the campsite" but I don't want him to, I want him to have a week off school, reading doesn't count.  Although that being said, one of the points of this is the ability to do what you need to do, want to do and have to do when you want to, or can, do it.  I think I will tell him today, after his work :)  that he can take whatever work he wants to with us.  It'll be interesting to see what makes the cut. 


He also spent his hard earned cat sitting money on the full version of MineCraft yesterday which I really think is rather educational in comparison to some of the other games he plays. He spent time playing online with a group of friends from school he hasn't seen nor spoken to in a couple of weeks.  It was really REALLY good for him.  He lit up.  He does miss some of his school buddies.  The ones he didn't hang with outside of school hours but did eat lunch with daily for a year.  I need to take my own advice and work on connecting him with those kids 'live' every once in a while, the mall on the weekend or bowling or something.


My number one priority when we get back is hooking into some live activities with other home school kids.  I want him to at least have a few opportunities before summer hits.  It's hard that it's all winding down now but hopefully I will be able to find something for him.


I had my first non-questioned interaction yesterday as well.  Kiddo wanted a hair cut so we went to our usual gal and she asked how school was going, we said it was great and that we were home schooling now.  She didn't miss a beat and said, "wow, that's so great, it's huge here, isn't it?"  She was the first one who didn't ask me why.  It was a nice change since I don't have my abridged explanation ready yet.  The "what? why?" is hard to answer without coming off preachy or as though you're on a soap box, like me, yesterday.  I am trying to come up with a one or two sentence explanation of why the global shift in our educational  philosophy and lifestyle.  Sure, it's not hard at all.


I am going to run some errands while he works today, what a sweet perk of this.  I am anticipating a wonderful, happy, hard working, day with both of us having our eye on the prize... finish today and we're done for 10 whole days of nothing but nothing!  


/Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment